Individual Development Accounts
St. Vincent de Paul participates in the Valley Individual Development Account (VIDA) Program, a statewide coalition that helps low to moderate income households achieve major life and financial goals through matched savings, training, and support. Since 2002, 73 savers have graduated from this program, successfully saving and using their savings and match for a specific goal. Fourteen of those completed the program in 2013.
In the Matched Savings Program, VIDA provides an opportunity for households to build or acquire one of the following assets:
- Post-secondary education
- Home ownership
- Home repair and rehab
- Work-related specialized training, adaptive equipment, or technology
“The IDA Program has given me the miracle of believing in myself again and for that I say thank you.” – Aleta, VIDA participant
Free classes and Information Sessions
IDA information sessions* will be offered in rural communities on the following dates:
- Veneta: Monday, February 24, noon-1 p.m.
- Florence: Tuesday, February 25,12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Junction City: Monday, March 17, noon-1 p.m.
- Cottage Grove: Monday, April 14, noon-1 p.m.
- Oakridge: Wednesday, April 16, noon-1 p.m.
Financial education is required for IDA savers. For rural residents of Lane county, St. Vincent de Paul offers a free 10-hour course called “Finding Paths to Prosperity.” The classes are open to anyone in the community.
Spring 2014 schedule:
- Veneta: Thursdays, March 6, 13, 20, and April 6
- Florence: Tuesdays, April 8, 15, 22, and 29
- Junction City: Thursdays, April 10, 17, 24, and May 1
- Cottage Grove: Tuesdays, May 6, 13, 20, and 27
- Oakridge: May 8, 15, 22, and 29
Spring classes run from 6-8:30 p.m.
“Home Care & Repair,” a six-hour free class, is designed to help homeowners with home repair needs. Topics include home safety, home maintenance, working with a contractor, and finding out about programs offering support for the cost of home repair projects. A class* will be held in Eugene, 6-8 p.m., on Tuesday evenings, March 4, 11, and 18.
*Please note: Classes and sessions will run only if at least four people register. Contact Colleen Stewart by email or phone: 541-743-7142.